Thursday 18 August 2016

Cloth Diapers: Part 2

If you've ever done any research into cloth diapers, it doesn't take long to realize that there are a lot of options out there, and it can get pretty overwhelming.  Different diapering systems work better for different people, but I thought I would show you the diapers that I use, and tell you a bit about what my cloth diaper routine looks like.


The diapers I use are called "Flip" diapers, which is a hybrid diapering system.  Basically, what that means is that I use waterproof shells, a couple of which are in the picture above.  The diaper shell has a system of snaps that can make it smaller or larger, which means that they fit right from infancy to potty training.  You can use the Flip diapers just the way they are as a swim diaper, but generally you lay an absorbent insert into the waterproof shell to make it work properly as a diaper.  There are lots of insert options that work with the Flip shells, but the ones I use are called prefolds.


A prefold diaper is basically a whole bunch of layers of cotton that have been sewn together so that it becomes very absorbent.  I use Bummies prefolds, and I have them in a small size from when Steven was little, and a larger size that we use now.


Prefolds are folded in thirds in order to fit into the diaper shell.  As you can see from the picture, the prefold is still too long to fit, so you make one more additional fold, which allows you to add additional absorbancy to a part of the diaper.


Since I have a little boy, I fold in the front of the diaper, making it an appropriate length to fit in the diaper shell, and adding absorbancy to the front of the diaper, where it is most needed.


Then the insert is placed in the Flip diaper shell.  Generally I'm lazy with it and don't bother tucking the insert under the flaps, but that's never been a problem.  The shell still keeps the prefold in place really well.  The diaper then goes on the baby a lot like a disposable does, except that it uses snaps rather than velcro.  I appreciate that, since Steven already knows how to use velcro, but he hasn't figured snaps out yet!

When it's diaper change time, if the diaper is only wet, you can remove the insert and replace it with a clean one, reusing the shell multiple times.  I find that poops generally manage to get on the shell, so the whole thing has to go in the diaper bin (after the poop has been dumped in the toilet).


Speaking of diaper bins, here's mine!  It's an ordinary trash can that came with a removable plastic inner bin.  So when it's laundry time I carry the plastic inner bin that's full of dirty diapers into the laundry room and dump them right into the washing machine, without having to touch anything nasty! 


A recent addition to my diaper stash, thanks to a friend, are some hemp doublers.  Doublers are basically a strip of absorbent fabric that you can add to your insert to make the diaper even more absorbent.  They are particularly nice to use overnight, since it's longer between diaper changes.


I also have a large collection of wipes.  Washable wipes are absolutely necessary if you're using cloth diapers, since you can just dump them into the diaper bin with the soiled diapers, without having to remember to put the wipes in the trash and the diapers in the bin.  I just made my own out of some cheap receiving blankets from the thrift store.  I cut the fabric into squares and used a sewing machine to do a zigzag stitch around the outside of each wipe.  It was that easy!  I keep a little squirt bottle of water on the change table and dampen each wipe when I want to use it.

It's important to avoid using regular diaper creams and lotions when you use cloth diapers, since they get on the diapers and are very hard to wash out.  I just use coconut oil when Steven has a bit of a rash, and it works really well.

Probably the most challenging part of using cloth diapers is figuring out a washing routine that works for your diapers.  There are general guidelines and lots of ideas around the internet, but ultimately it's a matter of trial and error.  There are a lot of factors involved, like the temperature and volume of the water, how hard or soft the water is (which refers to the amount of minerals naturally occurring in the water), the kind and amount of laundry detergent, the kind of washing machine you have, and the kind and number of wash cycles you put the diapers through.

It's possible to buy special laundry detergent that is designed for washing cloth diapers, but that can be very expensive.  Thankfully, regular detergents can work just as well.  The main thing you have to watch out for is that it doesn't have any brighteners in it.  Brighteners work by coating the fabric, and have the added effect of making the fabric water-resistant - not what you're going for with cloth diapers!  It can also be good to avoid dyes and fragrances, since they can be irritating to your baby's skin.  Currently, I use original powdered Tide detergent.  For some reason it works better than anything else I've tried! 

My current washing routine involves filling the washing machine with cold water and soaking the diapers for about 20 minutes or so, then washing them with hot water and detergent, and rinsing them 4 times with warm water.  I think that's probably overdoing it a bit, but in our new house I have to go outside and down a flight of stairs to the basement suite to get to the laundry room.  In our old place I would keep an eye on the wash and when the water of a rinse was clear I knew that the diapers were clean enough, but now I try to minimize the number of times I have to make the trip to the laundry room.  But our landlady is planning to install a washing machine on our main floor, so soon I won't have to make the trek to the basement anymore.  Yay!

I hang the diapers to dry outside if it's nice out and inside if it's raining.  Using the dryer would be faster, but we try to use as little electricity as we can.  Jesse is planning to put up a clothes line for me soon, which will be really nice!


My diaper stash has changed a bit over time, but I am really pleased with the way it's working right now.  I currently have 10 shells and 30 prefolds, which is enough that I only have to wash diapers twice a week.

I had Steven in disposable diapers for the first month or so after he was born, which I do recommend, especially for a first child.  That let me get used to having a baby without also having to get used to cloth diapers at the same time.  When I switched over to cloth, it took me about a week to get used to it, but since then it's felt completely normal.  There's been the odd occasion when I've put Steven in disposable diapers for a couple days, like when he had a rash that got infected and we had to use a prescription cream, so he's maybe had a total of 6 weeks in disposable diapers in his life.  But, interestingly, I had to deal with more leaks and poop explosions in those times than in all of the months he's been in cloth diapers!

When baby #2 comes, I am planning to have him or her in disposable diapers for the first week or two, mainly until we're finished with the black tar newborn poop.  It's nasty.  (I believe the technical name for it is "meconium".  Now you know.)  I still have all of the smaller prefolds from when Steven was little, but I will have to divide the diaper shells between the two kids, so I will have to do laundry a little more frequently until Steven is finished with diapers.  But really, I can only fit so many diapers into my dirty diaper pail anyways, so I think it will work out just fine.

If you're a mom that uses cloth diapers, I'd love to hear about your diaper routine and the kind of diapers you use.  If cloth diapering is something that you're not familiar with, let me know if you have any questions.  Leave a comment below - I'd love to hear from you!


And if you're interested in reading more, check out: Why We Use Cloth Diapers

No comments:

Post a Comment