Tuesday 26 September 2017

Busy Week!

Since my primary occupation is caring for a one year old and a two and a half year old, it comes as no surprise that I don't get out much. But every now and then an event comes up that I'm interested in, and I put out the effort to go to it. This past week there were THREE events that I went to! And they were all fantastic, so I thought I'd share a bit about them!


The History of the Bible


There was a special lecture at Columbia Bible College last week, called "The Ancient New Testament's Transmission, Translation, and Interpretation: Questions of Reliability". Basically, it was about the New Testament and the process that spanned from the original authors writing their works through to what we have on our shelves today. The speaker was very passionate about the topic, and it was interesting to hear about the thousands of ancient fragments and copies that have been discovered, and the process of comparing them and discerning what the originals said.

After the lecture, I was able to spend some time down in the Metzger Collection, which is a really cool museum of high-quality replicas of artifacts, mostly from biblical times. Their special exhibit was on the Bible and included copies of all sorts of famous old Bibles, like the Book of Kells, which is in the picture above. I got to see the actual Book of Kells when I was in Ireland many years ago, so it was neat to be able to look through (and actually touch) such an accurate copy of it.


TEDx Abbotsford



On Saturday I got to go to the TEDx Abbotsford conference, which was fantastic! There were lots of very interesting speakers on a variety of topics surrounding the theme of "trailblazing". Everything was done very well, from the talks to the food to the activities, and it seemed very professional. My favourite part of the event was being able to meet so many interesting people!


Walk for Reconciliation


I was also able to take the boys to the Walk for Reconciliation in Vancouver. It was a big day, with a mind-boggling number of people participating. It involved a two kilometre walk and a number of events at park with speeches and entertainment and activities.

For me, it was important to go as a way of saying that I care about the injustices that the Indigenous people have experienced and continue to experience in our country, and that I am one of many, many people who want those injustices to be addressed and for there to be reconciliation.

I think my favourite part of the day was watching Steven learn a bit about lacrosse, along with people of all sorts of ages and ethnicities. It was a beautiful picture of what reconciliation can look like, and he had so much fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment