Thursday 28 September 2017

Red Pepper Jelly


With the end of summer comes canning season! Last year I didn't get to do much canning (for a good reason!) so it was nice to be able to return to canning again this year. So far we have canned peaches, salsa, spaghetti sauce, jam, and my most recent addition—red pepper jelly! I've wanted to try making red pepper jelly for several years now, so I finally did it.


I looked up a few different recipes and modified them a bit. I ended up using three cups of pepper purée, which was basically just four red bell peppers chopped up in my food processor, along with two jalapeños. Then I also added a cup of apple cider vinegar, six cups of sugar, and two packets of pectin. It turned out to be just as easy as making a batch of jam! I guess, since I didn't strain the bits of pepper out of it, that technically makes it red pepper jam, but you can hardly tell the bits are in there.


My recipe ended up making six small jars as well as some extra that went into a container in the fridge. I am very happy with how it turned out! My only complaint is that it could be a bit spicier. Next time I'll add another jalapeño!


Look at that beautiful colour! My favourite way to eat red pepper jelly is on crackers with goat cheese. So delicious (and pretty)!



No comments:

Post a Comment